people

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

In Memory (2)

I was thinking of startin today's blog by writing nice things, but it seems i can't.
Today's memorare is for my great grandmother who just passed away this morning. And again, i am not that sad that she has to go, rather i see it as a way of going away from her sufferings.
We all call her Nenek Wai. I think she's between 87-90 years old now, no one can really be sure, because during the japanese occupation, they just put whatever age they like for you. For the past one year she had been suffering from Parkinson's disease, and the last time i went to see her in feb, she didn't recognise me the first time (she hadn't seen me for at least 2 years).its scary what parkinson's can do to a person, at times she will be meek as a lamb, at times she can fly into a rage. But it was these past 4 months that her condition got really worse.
I will just remember her as being a really good grandma. Always giving me cash, and telling me all sorts of weird stuff about life. Sometimes, i want to laugh at the things she tells me, not because i mock her, but what she says is truly hilarious (at least for my wacky sense of humor).The amazing thing about her is that despite her old age, she can still walk to the market (about 30mins away) or to my house, which is equally far. If i were her age, i'd just wait for people to come to me.
She was very gutsy, and independent. i guess she doesn't like to trouble people.
But there are other times as well when i feel sorry for her, because some relatives are being nice to her for a specific purpose.
She was married twice, first to a man she didn't like, and resulting in my grandma, and then to a police sargeant a few years later. It also resulted in her giving birth to my grandma's sister. I saw her pics when she was young, and i have to admit both she and her second husband were good looking people.They had a fairly comfortable life, due to her husband's job. After that, my story of her is not known, but i will always remember her as being nice to me and my brother. She really has a soft spot for my bro, he can charm the sock's off any girl!
i'm feeling bad again because i won't be attending the funeral,my dad prefers me not to skip class. Feeling really bad because i haven't prayed for anyone also. Must do it tonight.

No comments: