people

Sunday, March 25, 2007

psychiatry part 2

i'll be doing my last week of psychiatry soon. And after this...Family medicine. Scary!

The lazy bug is still in me. This afternoon i went to the hospital to clerk patients for tomorrow's presentation. I was in the geriatric ward and had to find pts aged 65 and above. clerking the elderly is a bit like clerking young children, you have to be patient with both. I spent 3 hours in the afternoon just looking for suitable cases, and am totally tired now.
Last week i went to a geriatric clinic to see how patients are managed. There was this cute little old lady who came from a nursing home. She was about my height (which is short), her hair was short and parted to one side, and she had big bottle glasses on her face. She was absolutely a darling! THe moment she walked in, yuhana and i were just looking at her. And when she sat down, she said 'adoi'. She also had a high pitched voice, not exactly like alvin and the chipmunks, but a few tones lower. Which made her more adorable. What makes her stand out is that there is a cheerful expression on her face, and you can see that if you were to talk to her, she would be more than happy to. Yuhana started a conversation with her, and she was talking cheerfully. Then she got to the part where she said that she was put at the old folks' home because her children and grandchildren were too busy too look after her, and that they seldom see her. Then my eyes started tearing up. if one were to go to an old folk's home, its an eye opener. Most of the old folks are very happy that youngsters come to see them. The sadness on their faces disappears for a little while.
It was the same thing at the geriatric clinic that day. Most of the patients who came in had a sad feeling/sad aura. Even though on the outside they look okay, but you can see that it hurts them that they have no one to take care of them. Maybe there is a reason why some of them are put at old folk's home, for example, they need extra care round the clock, and there's no one at home who can do that. Or, they have some form of delirium/dementia. But if they are put there for no good reason, its not a good thing to do, yeah? I have a grandma at home who has sacrificed so much for me in my 26 years. Every time i come back to kch, she would pamper me as usual. So, the thought of me putting her in an old folks' home is just unimaginable. THe same can be said for my parents. I'm not judging or condemning anyone, i just think its sad that we don't take care of them after what they've done for us.
Speaking of which, i personally hope that children who've been brought up from orphanages do well in life. Yeah, i seldom go to orphanages, but secretly i pray that they will succeed in life, get scholarships to study and help their homes in turn. Sometimes i get upset when things don't turn out my way/i always demand too much from my parents. At other times, i feel lucky that i do have parents, and that i'm blessed enough to do what i love, and to have the 3 essential things any human being should have.
When we read stories/books in the paper about young children in africa who are made to be soldiers for warlords, or who are raped or orphaned at a young age, that's when i realise that life is bigger than just caring about myself. I hate it when i read about circumcision for girls, and the fact that most children in the world don't have a proper education, a proper home, and so on. I can't do anything about it for the moment, but it has made me to be a less selfish person, and to be happy with what i have.
I saw pan's labyrinth last week, and primeval and mr. bean this week. Pan's is quite a depressing story, but the script is excellent, and it just wants to tell that hell can also occur on earth. The actors are good, and when i watched the movie, it made me think of the japanese occupation in malaya. Ofelia's father, the captain, had his own tools of torture, which made me cringe! primeval is you basic killer eater croc, but it also had a background story about the warfare going on in africa. As for mr. bean, sometimes i was irritated with his action, and sometimes it was so funny i was laughing like a hyena. its sad that this will be his last movie....he has inspired me to try and drive a mini cooper at least once...i'll try my best to find a mini cooper owning friend in kch.
I'm really tired, will nap soon. The trailer for pirates 3 is excellent. How can anyone not fall in love with captain jack sparrow? He's such a charmer.

No comments: